December 11, 2008

Experiencing Farm Life without leaving the computer

So knowing that I'm going to have to help butcher the broilers, I started searching for information. I found a few blogs, and the most interesting one was another Blogger named Hanna and her blog, Cultivating Home. Very detailed pictures on how to butcher, and gut :)
Cultivating Home: How to Butcher a chicken ( the easy way)

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Anyhow, I was looking at it, told the kids I was looking how to butcher the chickens so DON'T LOOK (Ha ha, Reverse Psychology at its best!)

So of course they wanted to know what this picture was of, and this picture. After they got their biology lesson, Caroline declared she was not going to eat Chicken McNuggets or any chicken again. I asked what she was going to eat instead. Hamburger, of course! So, being the horrible mom I am, I couldn't help but show her how they butcher a cow (Again, Kids DON'T Watch)

I'll just link, I won't put all 7 Beef Butchering Videos here!


So then Caroline decides she isn't going to eat hamburger anymore either. Katrina joins in and says at least there's still Bacon and Sausage.....Yea you know what happens next. The same guy who butchers the beef, butchers a pig also. You guys if your stomach can handle it, Hog Butchering 3 is so funny, their little 7 year old is filming, and starts making all sorts of commentary and naming parts. Listen carefully starting around 3:30

So needless to say, then Caroline started asking all sorts of questions:

Caroline:Um...where do the beans from like, Bean burros come from?
Lexa: Don't worry, its just plants, no blood is spilled for your bean burros.
Caroline: And um... Spaghetti? Is it from plants?
Lexa: Yes, dear, Spaghetti is from plants also. Except the Meatballs.
Caroline: Oh.. I don't want Meatballs in my spaghetti anymore.

Katrina then has the bright idea, "HEY, let's be vegetarians!" Caroline is all for that idea. We never have to kill sweet little cute animals again. Seeing that it is smarter they figure this out on their own, I said, "Sure, you can be a vegetarian. But, your body needs the right balance of proteins still for your body to grow properly. So you will need to eat beans, even the red kidney ones, and rice, and bean sprouts. Tofu is a good source of protein too. You know that squishy stuff at the Chinese Restaurant I tried to get you to eat?"

They think about this for a minute, and know that for the protection of these little animals, they are going to eat all the beans and rice they have to. So about 15 minutes later, Katrina and Caroline decide they are hungry. We go downstairs to make PB&J Sandwiches, and I pull another mean mom trick.

Lexa: Oh, would you look what we have here! Dino-shaped chicken nuggets!
Katrina: Mom! We're vegetarians now. We're not eating that.
Caroline: Yea, mom, we're never eating chicken again.
Lexa: Oh, Ok, Boys you want some nuggets?
Boys:Yea!
The smell of the cooking nuggets starts coming around....

Katrina: Well, Mom maybe it will be ok to eat the nuggets. They aren't OUR chickens.
Caroline: I don't want to eat chicken!
Katrina (caving in): No, I don't think I'll be a vegetarian.

I set a plate of nuggets in front of them both. It's too much to resist. Caroline joins in, "Can we have ketchup?"


Just to rub it in a little as their 20 minutes of vegetarianism comes to an end, and they start devouring their Chicken Nuggets with Ketchup, I say, "How could you! You killed that poor TOMATO for your ketchup. You Killed a Tomato! Plants have feelings too!

They didn't even pause....Yum :)

No comments: